Thursday, December 25, 2008

Welcome To The Club.


Ok, so you’ve met Mr Wonderful, he's just proposed and you've shared the wonderful news with your family and friends. You're officially a member of the prestigious "Engaged Couples Club" and you're ecstatic! I remember only too well... my husband now, and then boyfriend went to pay my parents a "special visit". I had kinda warned him about my dad (God bless his soul) I said he's very blunt so be prepared for anything. Even I was not prepared when my dad asked hubby: "So, what are your intentions..... Are you in LUST or in LOVE with my daughter?"....oh my goodness! No he didn’t just say that. Well, hubby was a bit uncomfortable but held his head up, looked my dad straight in the eye and answered the question...and the rest is history. Its your turn now, you've gone through the official introduction as is the tradition in Nigeria, families have met etc. Now its time for your traditional engagement ceremony. As a lot of us know, this is probably one of the biggest planning challenges as most of the time the ball is literarily in your folks court. There are stipulated rules on how this and that should be done.....take a deep breath, relax and just do what I did, call your older siblings, heck call everyone and cry over the phone. Swear that your mum is being extremely difficult and your dad who had said invitations were fine at the last minute decides you have to redo them because: "I don’t like the wordings"....they'll eventually give in when they get 1001 phone calls!(just messing around).
Seriously though...what's your take on the process of a traditional engagement ceremony in Nigeria. It’s YOUR wedding right? Or your parents?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL.

I find this blog rather interesting, cant wait for the next update....even though i'm still trying to find the right catch!I'll stop by everyday.

My ideal wedding...white/traditional,isnt the typical Niaja style. I want to be able to know everyone attending by name....not by related from dads side,or distant cousin etc.

People tell me it's not about me but if i or rather "we"(groom and I) stand by what we want, hopefully, we'll have just that.AMEN

Merry Christmas to u.

single & searching

MOBVDO!!! said...

LOL! Interesting.....well I believe that the wedding is a special for the bride and groom which we Nigerians seem to be against...the mum factor, dad factor, our egbe in church, our aunties and uncles etc just wanna take over, GOSH!
Therefore I have purposed in my heart to coax my lucky guy (wink) into having ours in SA in the serenity of my sisters garden amongst true friends and family (this will also eliminate the crowd that comes for the nkan hiha i.e. gifts being distributed). The wedding shud be all bt the bride and groom it is their special day.
Happy Holidays

Elise Charles said...

@ single & searching- thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope when the time comes, you'll get your dream wedding but as you describe it, you just might have to opt for a wedding in Seychelles! that way ONLY the pple that matter will show up abi?

Best Wishes!


@ MOVBVDO - lol..."egbe" at church thats funny. I feel you on the whole distant relatives thing:("you remember Tolu? your Anty B's niece? she's married to your daddy's "brother"(leave that side, thats anoda story)- Uncle T, Yes your daddy and Uncle T's grandmother & grandfather are first cousins? en hen....Tolu is Anty B's older sisters daughter!"....see me see!

Thanks for stopping by & have a blast in S/A!